Today America is celebrating its 242nd birthday, marking just as many years since the Declaration of Independence was signed back in 1776 by the founding fathers of our nation.
Although its memory is kept vivid in our minds by the annual Holiday, today the Fourth of July means a lot more than independence. It is a celebration of America, in all its forms. And, of course, of its retail power 🙂 .
To help you visualize the grandeur of the event, we have gathered some interesting figures to match the importance of today’s anniversary, varying from number of hot dogs eaten in one day, to the number of fireworks that pierce and light up the ‘heavens’. Starring: the Americans.

There are 150 million hot dogs eaten on the Fourth of July. As you well know, there is an annual hot-dog eating contest, which can bestows upon the winner everlasting honor (of maybe one week 🙂 ). Last year the record was 70 hot-dogs eaten in 10 minutes. A few hours ago, Joey Chestnut broke his own record record and ate 72 hot dogs in 10 min. Impressive, right?
On top of that, Americans will toast beer and wine worth more than 1.6 billion dollars, spend close to 390 million dollars on chicken, 388 million dollars on fresh ground beef, $318 million on chips and $133 million on hamburgers and hot dogs. Oh, and $62 million on mustard & ketchup, according to WalletHub.

More than 65% of Americans will attend some form of Fourth of July picnic, leaving aside their desks and PC’s (and most likely switching to mobile).
Americans will spend around 7.2 billion dollars on Fourth of July alone, according to the National Retail Federation. Also, rules and regulations add up more than 40 dollars per family of four to the cost of food. So that stacks up, according to the American Action Forum.
Another important figure is represented by the number of fireworks that will light up the sky tonight: Last year, more than 268 million pounds (121 million kg) were fired and blazed the view. The figure, however, declined since 2015, when more than 285 million pounds were fired. Last year, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, $296.2 million worth of fireworks were imported to the U.S. from China.

It’s interesting that more than 90% of the fireworks are used by everyday consumers, leaving only 10% for official display. However, there are two states, Delaware and Massachusetts, that ban the sale and use of all consumer fireworks, including novelties and sparklers, while the state of Illinois permits the sale and use of only wire or wood stick sparklers and other novelties.
According to,  more than 85% of the Americans consider themselves very patriotic.

About the author

Sebastian Stan

Sebastian is a journalist and digital strategist with years of experience in the news industry, social media, content creation and management, and digital analytics.

eBook: Understand Your Customers

Cognetik eBook: Guide to User Journey Analysis


Related Articles