Segmenting data helps to create target groups based on things like behavior, age, location, and more. The possibilities are endless. However, when the collection of data is not up to par, you need to build segment proxies to get a more accurate representation of clickstream activity. Finding bad data, and creating segments to eliminate that data, is not a difficult process. Having to govern the analytics team and anyone who self-serves data from Adobe is another story. So how can you prevent this time-consuming issue from occurring?
Build a Virtual Report Suite. Virtual Report Suites can help the tool (Adobe) governance team make sure everyone is using the same set of data. You have the capability to segment out bad data but at the report suite level. Adobe’s wholesale strategy for segmenting data is amazing because it eliminates tediousness and simplifies data governance, getting you advanced and accurate insights faster. Let’s dive into the functionality of Virtual Report Suites and the key benefits you’ll gain from using it.
How Virtual Report Suites Works
Virtual Report Suites is a branching concept that allows you to create secondary report suites that get its data and settings from its parent report suite. The best way to look at it is like a bucket. All your data is fed into one bucket which contains information you need (the good data) and the information you don’t need (the bad data).
When in Adobe Analytics, you’ll find this functionality under Components. To create a new Virtual Report Suite, add the name of your new bucket, a description, include tags and groups, select the parent report suite, and then add your excluding segments.
Benefits of Using Virtual Report Suites
Let’s take a look at some benefits of using this functionality in Adobe Analytics.
- Clean data. By creating and applying segments via Virtual Report Suites, a new bucket is created with only the data you need. You no longer have to add exclusive segments of bad data to every report that you build.
- Send your data to the right people. As an admin, you can assign Virtual Report Suites to different groups in your organization so they can access data that is relevant to them. This will help you deliver clean data to specific audiences.
- As opposed to creating a brand new regular report suite, Virtual Report Suite filters out data retroactively.
- You can use many tools (Analysis Workspace, Report Builder, Ad Hoc Analysis, etc) to pull data from Virtual Report Suites, allowing for ultimate flexibility.
- In some cases, Virtual Report Suites can eliminate the need for secondary server calls, which ultimately saves your organization money.
- Virtual Report Suites is a free function within Adobe Analytics.
Being able to segment your data is a core functionality in Adobe Analytics, but a further enhancement to this functionality is creating a Virtual Report Suite. The simplification benefits of this capability are nothing short of awesome. There are other segmenting tools out there, but Adobe’s Virtual Report Suite simplifies data governance, which can affect the quality of your data. By having clean data, you’ll gain a more accurate representation of clickstream activity to help your business optimize the user journey of your digital properties.
If you have any questions regarding Virtual Report Suites, segmentation, or need help with optimizing your digital capabilities, contact us today.